Dal Fry / Arhar Dal / Tuar Dal / Yellow Dal

Dal fry is a very popular Indian dish. In many Indian homes tuar dal or arhar dal is a part of daily lunch or dinner. Its a simple, healthy yet delicious dish and a best choice for light meal. You can have dal with roti, naan or rice.


Whenever I don't have much time I always make dal chawal :) it is a simple and quick meal.

So lets start with recipe...

You need:

  • 1 Cup Tuar / Arhar Dal
  • 1 Medium Onion (finely Chopped)
  • 1 Small Tomato (finely Chopped)
  • 1 Medium Green Chilly (finely Chopped)
  • 3-4 Garlic Cloves (finely Chopped)
  • ½ Teaspoon finely chopped Ginger
  • 1 Teaspoon Garam Masala 
  • 1 Teaspoon Red Chilly powder
  • 1 Teaspoon Haldi/ Turmeric Powder
  • 1 Pinch Hing/Asafoetida
  • 1 Teaspoon Mustard Seeds
  • 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
  • 4-5 Curry Leaves
  • 3 Teaspoon Oil
  • Salt as per taste
  • Fresh green coriander leaves for garnishing .
Method:


1. Wash Tuar / Arhar Dal properly. 

2. In a Pressure Pan/Cooker add the dal + half teaspoon turmeric powder + a pinch of salt and 3½ cups of water. Mix it well and pressure cook till tender. Approx 2-3 whistles.

3. Heat oil in a pan or kadhai. 

4. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds cook for a minute, add curry leaves + ginger + garlic and hing. Stir for a minute, add onion + a pinch of salt + green chilly & cook for 2-3 minutes (adding some salt to onions will help to cook onions fastly). 

5. When onions turn light brown add chopped tomato and cook till oil gets separated. 

6. When oil starts separating add red chilly powder + garam masala + turmeric powder and salt, stir for 2 min. 

7. Add some water to the masala. Cook till oil saperates so that all the added ingredients will get cooked properly.


8. Add cooked dal to it, Cook it on medium heat stiring continuously for 5 minutes. Taste the dal, if needed adjust spices as per your taste. Cook the dal for another 3-5 minutes on low flame. 

Garnish with chopped green coriander leaves and Serve hot with Roti or Rice.





Get Free Updates in your Inbox

Previous
Next Post »

11 Comments

Click here for Comments
Nov 5, 2012, 12:45:00 PM ×

Most of the times my family members love to eat dhal with rotti, whenever I prepare rotti they need dhal because it’s a good combination to have it and it's so delicious as well.

Reply
avatar
Nov 6, 2012, 1:59:00 PM ×

I think red chilli powder would be too spicy for me. Is there any alternative which I can use instead of that? Or can I skip it?

Reply
avatar
Nov 6, 2012, 3:06:00 PM ×

In my life I have eaten dhal curry for few times. I went to India for a vacation and that period I got a chance to go to an Indian restaurant. It was really tasty. But I don’t have any idea of making “roti”. Can please put the recipe for that also. Thank you for sharing this anyway.

Reply
avatar
E Cigarette
admin
Jan 29, 2013, 1:54:00 PM ×

The dhal looks great and I think it’s spicy too. I have tasted some Indian dhal before and it was really good.

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
admin
Feb 25, 2013, 7:45:00 AM ×

There is certainly a lot to know about this subject. I really like all of the
points you have made.

Here is my site ... jobs for a stay at home mom
my webpage > careers working from home

Reply
avatar
Mar 21, 2013, 4:33:00 PM ×

My family members love to eat dhal. This is a perfect recipe for them. Thanks a lot.

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
admin
Jun 2, 2013, 1:39:00 AM ×

This is very interesting, You are a very skilled blogger.

I've joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your great post. Also, I've shared your web site in
my social networks!

My weblog Las Vegas Golf Schools

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
admin
Jun 2, 2013, 9:12:00 PM ×

Aw, this was an incredibly nice post. Taking a few minutes and
actual effort to create a top notch article… but what can I say… I procrastinate a lot
and never manage to get anything done.

Here is my weblog; St Cloud Florist

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
admin
Jun 3, 2013, 6:06:00 AM ×

Hello, i think that i saw you visited my
web site so i came to “return the favor”.
I'm attempting to find things to improve my site!I suppose its ok to use a few of your ideas!!

Here is my site ... Lower Back Strain Symptoms

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
admin
Jun 5, 2013, 6:30:00 PM ×

Thanks to my father who told me on the topic of
this website, this web site is really awesome.

Also visit my weblog: las vegas golf lessons

Reply
avatar
Jun 10, 2013, 6:19:00 PM ×

Looks delicious. I love Indian food. I have made chapathi before. It came out great. I would like to try this too.

Reply
avatar

Hi, Thanks for visiting my blog. Please add your comments, your feedback is important for me :) ConversionConversion EmoticonEmoticon

Copyright © 2010 · All Rights Reserved · V's Little World· Privacy Policy· Sitemap · Contact